"La Marchenita" as he was known was a man from India, actually later called Pakistan, so he was known as a Pakistani Man, but he travelled to Andalusia in Spain, an was befriended by the late great Flamenco singer of the day called Pepe Marchena, who after hearing the voice & singing of Aziz kind of adopted him as his disciple or protege, and so he gained the nickname La Marchenita, and he was to become one of the first people from Indo~Asian origin to be hailed as a great Cantaor (singer of Flamenco) which in Spain was hard enough to gain even for a home boy like Pepe Marchena, but for a Pakistani, it was very rare!
Anyway, I'll let the story teller tell the story, it's not mine to tell, even though I know it well, but with respect, here is the link to the full story, and I really hope you will read it all the way through, and that you too will be as fascinated as I was when I first heard about this amazing guy from Pakistan in the 1930's in Andalusia and other places like Madrid and Barcelona!
Here is the Link >>>>> http://www.flamenco-world.com/magazine/about/aziz_balouch/balouch.htm
Enjoy; (and feedback on this item is welcome)
No comments:
Post a Comment